A community based food growing and cooking project – bringing communities together.
Many residents of Bucks are apprehensive when it comes to growing and cooking their own food. Public Health initiated Grow it, Cook it, Eat it across the county in a bid to develop skills and confidence. The aim is to provide local communities with a space that they can use as their own and enjoy throughout the year. Meeting people from a range of backgrounds and cultures who are also interested in building their capacity for a healthier and more sustainable diet.
Growing sites are located across Buckinghamshire and led by expert gardeners. They welcome volunteers of all ages and experience, bringing communities together to grow their own fruit, vegetables and herbs. As well as giving you access to plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, gardening activities offer great low impact exercise – so growing your own is a good way of improving your physical health too.
Additionally, as the growing season progresses, there are also exciting opportunities to develop community cooking schemes, sessions or projects. Helping to ensure you are able to use all the amazing fruit and vegetables that have been grown to create tasty, healthy, low-cost meals for the whole household.
Growing Sites are situated at:
- Desborough Allotments, High Wycombe. Shanthi Wortmann, email@example.com or call 07557 440567
- The Aylesbury Vineyard, Aylesbury. Dave Furze, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Waterside Community Garden, Chesham. Sam Free, email@example.com
- Micklefield Library, High Wycombe. Samantha Hardy, firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07990 756742
There are two courses running to ‘Train the Trainer’ for community groups to deliver cooking skills sessions. These comprise of two day training sessions with ongoing support. Make Every Contact Count Training, Food Hygiene Certificate and a tutor support pack. These are taking place on the:
- 7th & 9th February 2022 @ The Hive, High Wycombe. Closing date 16th January 2022
- 5th & 6th April 2022 @ The Bagnall Centre, Chesham. Closing date 16th March 2022
Apply for a space here https://forms.office.com/r/jiyyfSgTEF or email email@example.com